Update – How Everybody is Doing

Sago is a happy camper in his hydroballs.  He gets lots of morning sun in his eastern facing window and apparently he’s quite happy.  He has sprouted seven new palm fronds that are opening beautifully!

Vrissy is looking as lovely as ever and has had a baby!  I’ll let the little one grow a bit bigger before separating them.

Heather is looking feathery and standing tall and Porthos seems to be growing larger by the day.  I have been so pleased with Lucky that my kids now have their own lucky bamboos.

I do have some sad news to report.  Nanners took another turn for the worse.  I had made a water level indicator for his pot, but it malfunctioned and the rain he had been caught in one afternoon filled his pot more than I had realized.  His poor roots rotted and it doesn’t look like he’ll be recovering this time. His pot is sitting next to Sago’s, a little brown stump standing in hydroballs in the hopes that maybe, just maybe, he isn’t as dead as he looks.

Also, I’m terrible at getting seeds to grow.  Some of our herb, veggie, and flower seeds didn’t grow at all and a few that did grew some sort of fungus.  I will have to research a bit more on starting from seed.  I don’t want to be a baby plant killer!

Finally, I would like to revisit the Maters.  Maters 1 and 2 came to me as seeds with a little hanging basket and a brick of coir in a kit called “Patio/Deck Grape Tomato”.  I didn’t have high hopes for this cheap little kit and of all the seeds that came with it, Maters 1 and 2 were the only to sprout.

Well, when I started transplanting my other plants, I picked up a bottle of MiracleGro QuickStart (not having any hydroponics stores nearby where I could get nutrients specific to hydroponics).  Those other tomato seeds had been sitting dormant in that plastic hanging pot for over a month, but on a whim, I went ahead and fed them.

Holy mackerel!  I now have a bunch of little tomato plants sprouting up in the coir on my front porch.  Maters 1 and 2 may have left this world, but they certainly left behind their legacy in that little white patio pot!


Sago’s Harrowing Adventure

When I purchased Sago, he was the biggest sago palm available at the store.  I was looking for plants on the cheap, so found him at Walmart of all places.  Now, I can make $20 go a long way at Walmart and I would generally balk at spending that much on one plant at a place I go pretty much to save money, but Sago stole my heart and I brought him home.  Besides, he’s a palm and palms tend to be good at cleaning up indoor air.

I set out to clean his roots of icky soil and get him into some happy Hydroton, but a well established palm like Sago is not easy to clean up!  His root ball is rather large and his poor roots were so tangled!  I had already spent about 30 minutes brushing clumps of soil out and trying desperately to untangle his roots when something terrible happened.

I was stung by a wasp, which I happen to be allergic to.  Normally I would take some Benadryl and keep my Epipen handy and not worry about it, but on this day, neither had been replenished.  I took some Advil PM (which is basically Benadryl accompanied by Advil) and headed out to the urgent care clinic just in case, leaving poor Sago hanging on the deck railing, roots exposed.

My mind was wracked with worry.  Would Sago and I make it?  Time ticked by driving to the clinic where they decided I needed a shot of steroids and observation.  Observation?  Sago could be dying!  His dear roots could be dry and withering by now!  I agonized those twenty minutes (and daggumit that shot stays with you; felt like somebody was pinching my rear and wouldn’t let go!).  On top of that, the doctor insisted I pick up an Epipen before heading home.

I made it home alive and well, but I was soooo tired!  I’m a night person, but as dusk settled in I found myself unusually sleepy.  But I could not give in!  Sago needed me!  I rushed out to find him looking well, just as if I hadn’t been gone at all and I set quickly to ridding his roots of icky soil.  Darkness set in and I had to move the operation to our Buzzy Bee Bunny Barn where I had some light and a hose.  Sago showed no signs of weakness.  Way to go, Sago!

Nearly three hours after I first pulled dear Sago from his soil laiden pot, I placed his clean, mostly untangled roots in his new stoneware crock full of Hydroton and a Quick Start root booster solution.  That wasn’t the end of my dear palm’s harrowing adventure, though.  Of course, when I brought him back in the house, his nemesis, Kyla the German Shepherd, had to check out his new pot and hydroballs, scattering many of them across the carpet with her clumsy snout!  Sago made it through unscathed and I found them this morning lounging together.  Don’t let your guard down, Sago!  That snout, that tail!  That excitable clumsy dog may be the death of you yet!